Thanks for visiting!!! Please leave a comment!!

I'm delighted you've come to call! Have a cup of tea or coffee & rest with me a few minutes. There is always time to spend with a good friend!

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

words of encouragement

In my quiet time today I was studying the familiar passage of Matt.14:22-33,about Jesus walking on the water in the middle of the night to the disciples in the boat.Sometimes we've read/heard something so much we almost don't take it in,but there is always fresh nourishment for those who are hungry.There are a couple of things that stand out to me;one being how dark it must have been as the waves crashed around them...& how easy it is to fear in the dark.The very first thing Jesus calls out to them is "Take courage!"....maybe today you're in your own storm,the waves seem to threaten to batter your life,your place of security, to pieces. Maybe,like the disciples, all seems dark & fearful around you,things are taking place that you can't understand or control. Dear Peter calls out to Jesus saying "if it's really you, call me to come out to you on the water."Isn't that just like us? In the midst of roiling,dark circumstances we want to know if that's really Him we're seeing coming toward us. Peter starts walking than looks around at all the turbulence that surrounds him & begins to sink.His focus had shifted from the only source that made the impossible possible. I'm in a bit of a storm right now & often my heart wants to fear in the dark when I look at the waves crashing,threatening to destroy...but guess who's coming towards me? The One who stretches out His hand to me,crosses the place of turbulence & climbs into the boat with me. After that,the waves calm. Lord,Keep me today looking into the face that makes the impossible possible,to rest in your abilities rather than mine.

1 comment:

Nanette Merrill said...

What a sweet post Jill. Life is one continuous stream of storms I think and we have to be ever willing to hope, trust and put out our hand to Him.