Thanks for visiting!!! Please leave a comment!!

I'm delighted you've come to call! Have a cup of tea or coffee & rest with me a few minutes. There is always time to spend with a good friend!

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Glow

This is a new recipe for me this year & according to my non-partial testing group of one...
I think they might make the list!!! It seems most of the recipes I cook from are altered & this was no exception. They are called "Jill's version of Cherry Tassies"!

I've had a couple of cool,cute guys hanging out with me in the kitchen. Their presence, along with all my favorite Christmas Carols playing & a candle burning, bring a little Christmas "magic" into all the goodies.
Hey, Mom-guess what?? I am still making these cookies, with a couple of changes to make things a little easier. They are called
"Mom's Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies"
They have a rich, deep chocolate cookie base, with a drained maraschino cherry pressed in the center then covered with a thick delicious fudge before baking. Mmh, decadent chocolate cherry goodness!! And here's the recipe for you, from my generous lil' heart to special lil' you-just cause I love ya! I hope you'll try them or ask me to make some for you-I'll do it -just for you!!
For the choclate cooky dough:
1/2 c. softened butter
1 c. sugar
1egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp.baking soda
In large bowl, cream butter,sugar,egg & vanill till light & fluffy. Add remaining ingredients, mix till dough forms. Dough will be stiff. I usually end up kind of kneading/mixing the dough by hand,near the end to get it all mixed in.
Shape dough into 1 in. balls,using a heaping tsp. for each. I divide my dough into somewhat equal pieces before rolling them into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased cooky sheet.
Needed: A jar or two of maraschino cherries-36-48 cherries. Drain the cherries but save the juice,you'll need it for the fudge frosting.
Push one cherry halfway into each cooky.Once the cookies are all molded with the cherries placed, proceed to the frosting.
Fudgy Frosting:
In small, heavy pan over low heat,melt:
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate pieces
1/2 c. Sweetened, condensed milk.
DO NOT LET BURN!! IT DOESN'T TAKE LONG!!
Add 1/4 tsp. salt
1 to 1 1/2 tsp. maraschino cherry juice
Stir well, till smooth. It will turn kind of glossy. Working quickly, top each cherry with 1/2 tsp. of frosting. I use my small cooky scoop,it's less messy.
Bake the frosted cookies at 350* for 8-10 minutes,till puffy looking.
Store tightly covered...possibly well hidden from yourself!!
Makes about 36 to 48 cookies. I usually get closer to the smaller amount.
Do you know this cooky -eating rule : If it gets broken while taking off the
sheet or it's ugly you get to eat it-It's not polite to give honored family & friend guests broken or ugly cookies....okay...no one's looking....I think we need to drop a couple more!!!!
I made them in my mini- muffin pans this year-it worked great!!

Those are Grandma J's baking trivets I'm using. The Tupperware orange peeler, on the flat end, makes a super non-scratch mini spatula to get them out of the pan. I let them cool 5-6 minutes in the pan before removing. They bake in the muffin tin for the same amount of time.
Enjoy!!!

No comments: