Thanks for visiting!!! Please leave a comment!!

I'm delighted you've come to call! Have a cup of tea or coffee & rest with me a few minutes. There is always time to spend with a good friend!

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A slice,please! And make it BIG!!

Somehow I missed making a strawberry-rhubarb pie this spring, so I made one with frozen fruit.Maybe,it's not quite as good,maybe.....but we didn't really seem to notice!!!! Notice that thick rim of crust-that's my Polish heritage shining out of me-yum!
The recipe I use for crust is as follows-I've used it so many years, I've got it memorized!
My never-fail-always-good piecrust
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
Stir together.
2/3 c. shortening
Cut into flour with a pastry blender, or what I used for years, before I got a pastry blender-a fork! Cut in, till all is crumbed.
5-7 Tb cold water
Now, recipes will tell you to add the water one Tb. at a time.....& they are the experts, so, I'm sure they know what they are talking about....I tend to sprinkle the whole 7 Tb. at once & stir together to make a ball. If I have some dry flour at the bottom of the ball of pastry, I, gasp, sprinkle more cold water onto that!! And mix it into the ball. They say don't overwork the dough or it will become tough.....I guess I mostly never do because it's always flaky & tender! Soooo,even though I'm probably doing it all wrong, it sure comes out very RIGHT!!!!
The filling was just frozen fruit,thawed a bit to pour off extra liquid, sugar & cornstarch-oh,so good!!!
Make it "Pie Week" at your house this week!
Your family will be glad you did!!
Grampa with the little darlin'-he taught lil' Miss A to sing BabaraAnn by the Beach Boys!! She sings-"baa, ba,ba,baa,ba,ba'' very happily & bounces in rhythm!! They're taking a little break from watching The Beach Boys so that Grammy can take a pic!
Lil' Miss A got a chair & table set from Mommy & Daddy for her birthday-which isn't till August 1st!!! Hmm,what is the little girl sitting on?! Hmmm,what is the date today?!
Let's just say we're having a little happy before the birthday!!!

No comments: